Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Should Christian women wear make-up, weave or jewelry?



Since I was a little girl, I often heard in my church of worship that a woman should not wear pants, jewelry, weaves, polish, make-up and even certain colors and length of clothing. “This is a sin and should not be worn as women of God!” were the words I often heard. Even as a little girl, I always thought these requests were absurd. I thought to my self, “ doesn't God want us to look pretty?” Without freedom of choice, I found my self adhere to those rules and thought this was truly biblical concepts that made me holy.

Nancy, Ysgaelle and Jenny Bazile
Modest and Christian women that Loves God
I thought, as long as I look Christian, I am. I am sure this thought made you laugh, its hilarious to me now. Soon after my young adult ages of 13, 15 years old, I found my self sneaking paints, earrings, lipstick and other “forbidding” attire to school to wear. I am sure some of you recall those moments as well. My disobedience to my house/church rules turned to quote on quote “sinful” condemnation. This condemnation then eventually led to other “sins” which weren't  but because I have been thought that all things apart from what I was thought was a sin, I found myself going deeper and deeper till I completely lost my way into real sins and eventually became a lost sheep. As I look back, it all started with a doctrine that was enforced as sin. Soon I thought since I like this “sin” and find no wrong in it biblically  then I will do this until I find the truth. Only the truth I never seek and conviction of living a sin led me astray…..Until the day I was born again and I became a bible reader.



Cultural Attire, Ceremonial Attire, and Custom. Most are of excessive amount of Jewelry


One of the verses that are usually used to justify this “holiness attire” claim is First Timothy 2:9-10. It tells us, “I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.” Paul did not prohibit nor ban women from wearing jewelry, makeup, or braided hair. His emphasis was on women to not let their outward appearance become more important than their inner beauty.

I have seen so many long dressed, no make-up, “holy dressed modest” women do some things that women in the world would never do! First Samuel 16:7 states, “The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” Peter reminds us of this spiritual fact: “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight” (1 Peter 3:3-5).

By the scriptures of the Word of God, I have yet seen God say to DO NOT wear these things. These “do not’s” are amongst some other doctrines rules such as drinking alcohol, dancing to non-Christian music, and etc. Excessiveness, idolizing, disobedience of a direct request from God are the ACTS that leads to sin.
 
To conclude I will state, there is nothing wrong with wearing jewelry, makeup, or braided hair as long as it is done in a modest manner. A woman should not be so focused on her outward appearance that she neglects her inner spiritual life. The Bible focuses on the heart. As for proper clothing, real women of God will not wear things that will surely tempt men to fail short. They will allow the Holy Spirit to guide their judgment on what is proper to wear. I would only expect less from a new Christian that doesn't know better. But if you have matured in Christ, I am sure a mini-skirt, see-through tights, low riders with your crack out and etc would be worn to anywhere. If a woman is spending too much time and money on her appearance, the problem is that the woman’s priorities are wrong. Excessiveness jewelry and clothing are the results of the problem, not the problem itself. So ladies, keep looking good, for the glory of God!


By NANCY BAZILE

4 comments:

  1. your title is a bit of a problem. we are in 2013 and why shouldnt women wont wear christian jewelry??

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is actually a really good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good you became a bible reader. I hope your post was not as a result of your personal intuition. Did you pray to ask God to help you find out the truth? Don't use common sense to explain scriptures and make any submission. Anything you say or do will be used against you on the day of judgment...Romans 14:12 and Matthew 12:36. Allow the spirit of God to lead you into all truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It easy to twist the scripture to suit your heart desire and do want you want to do. I am not convince with your message. Now the Bible says The Holy Spirit will teach us all things, so today ask the Holy Spirit to clarify whether, putting on weavons, make ups, earrings, necklaces, jewelries are acceptable by Our Holy God. Don't assume it, make sure because their is no repentance in the grave, here in planet earth we have several choices but for eternity there is only two choices, Heaven or Hell. Be warned!!!

    ReplyDelete